Thursday, January 6, 2011

What to Do? (Part Three)

3.         ACCESS PEOPLE’S EXPERTISE.
It seems that we have placed a high value on independence and self-reliance in our society.  But just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean that you HAVE to, and by trying to do everything ourselves, I believe that we are missing out.  For the most part, I have done my own decorating in my home by simply relying on my personal preferences and, again, for the most part, I am happy with my home.  I recently had a consultation with an interior designer and it was a very powerful experience. I saw things differently. I was surprised at how many areas of my house I simply had stopped seeing. The decorator not only helped me to see but she also had endless resources and ideas and, perhaps most importantly, enthusiasm for what was possible.
Another powerful benefit to relying on other’s expertise is the sense of community that one can create and the gift of allowing each individual to express their true gifts and talents. By allowing other’s to use their talents, we also free ourselves to focus on those things that are most important to us.
4.         DREAM BIG.
One of my teachers, Alberto Villoldo, taught us about dreaming and living. “We dream ourselves into being.”  I had to hear this many times before I could begin to understand the power of the words. We can only be or become who we think we can be or become. Villoldo encouraged us to create epic dreams.  It is vitally important to bring our beliefs about who we are to consciousness so that we can choose. We must create our own standards for living and our own priorities. Living according to what has been handed down to us through our culture, education, religion, etc. can only create a sense of disappointment, unless and until we make it our own. We choose.

“Don’t just do something. Sit there!”
Instead of placing such value on activity, I think it’s time for us to honor what is truly valuable. I think that it’s time to be still and quiet enough to hear our own Soul’s calling and to do this with enough frequency that we actually are in the habit of paying attention.  Only after this deep inner awareness do we act. Once we align our activity, our doing, with our truest selves, joy becomes not only possible but most probable.

No comments:

Post a Comment